This course covers the resolution of COBOL program Abends in the Language Environment (LE).
This course reviews all COBOL compiler options and does an in-depth analysis of the options that help with debugging Abends.
The Run-Time LE messages that pertain to Abends are reviewed in detail.
The course walks the students through a series of common COBOL Abends.
The students will run a series of hands-on exercises to generate LE Dumps. The students will debug the LE dumps to discover the cause of the Abends and recommend how to resolve the Abends.
COBOL Training Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course, each student will be able to -
COBOL Training Prerequisites
- Identify and describe the use of the IBM COBOL compiler options and how each assists in debugging programs
- Identify and describe the use of the Run-Time messages from the Language Environment and how each assists in debugging programs
- Determine the location in a COBOL program of the error which causes an Abend using (1) the Language Environment's formatted dump, (2) the listings generated by the COBOL compiler, (3) the MVS Binder / Linkage Editor
- Identify and explain the meaning of COBOL Run-Time Messages
- Identify and explain the meaning of LE Run Time-Message
- Analyze COBOL LE Dumps to "discover" the cause of Abends.
Participants should have a good working knowledge of COBOL programming. Previous work with COBOL Dumps can be helpful, but is not required. One year of COBOL programming and TSO/ISPF are highly recommended.
COBOL Training Course duration
COBOL Training Course outline
1. Course Introduction
2. IBM COBOL Compiler Compile Options
3. Using The LE Formatted Dump (CEEDUMP)
4. Relating the CEEDUMP Output to the Compile and Bind / Link Edit listings
5. The LE and COBOL Run-Time Options
6. Run COBOL programs that cause Abends
7. Analyze COBOL LE Dumps to discover the cause of Abends
8. Using LE's CEE3DMP and CEE3ABD Callable Service Routines