Mainframe Training Overview|
This course is a combination of lecture, discussion and hands-on lab sessions.
First, an overview of JCL is given which describes the purpose of JCL, its relationship to the operating system, and the format / rules for coding.
Then, the JOB, EXEC and DD statements are covered extensively.
The purpose and use of each statement is described in detail; along with many parameters available to provide information to the operating system.
Procedures and several commonly used IBM utilities are covered in detail.
Recognize, analyze & correct typical ABENDs "caused" by JCL "errors".
Mainframe Training Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course, each student will be able to -
Mainframe Training Audience
- Describe z/OS operating system functions
- Describe Job Control Language statement syntax and format
- Create and use the JOB statement and its parameters
- Create and use EXEC statements and its parameters
- Create and use DD statements and its parameters
- Describe the need for and use JCL procedures
- Create and use JCL procedures
- Analyze and correct typical JCL ABENDs
- Use the Sort utility and several other IBM utilities
- Describe the function of JES
This course is for entry level programmers or experienced information processing personnel who need an in-depth knowledge of JCL (Job Control Language).
Mainframe Training Prerequisites
Participants should have a good working knowledge of data processing fundamentals.
Mainframe Training Course duration
Mainframe Training Course outline
Day 1 - JCL Basics|
Day 2 - Utilities
- Job Control language (JCL) Overview
- Introduction to Job Control Language (JCL)
- Operating Systems - overview, I/O functions, data management functions
- The function of JCL
- How JCL is interpreted
- Job Entry Subsystem (JES) functions
- JCL Statement Coding Format
- JCL Statement Types
- JCL Procedures
- JCL Statements & Parameters
- JOB statement & Parameters - CLASS, MSGCLASS, MSGLEVEL, NOTIFY
- EXEC statement & Parameters - PGM, PARM, COND, TIME
- DD statement - DDNAME,DSN,DISP,UNIT,SPACE,SYSOUT,DUMMY
Day 3 - JCL Procedures
Day 4 - More JCL
- Introduction to JCL procedures
- PROC statement
- PEND statement
- Using procedures - in-stream and catalogued
- Overriding procedures
- Additional JCL topics
- Fixing JCL Errors
- Final Workshop
Appendix A - JCL Summary
Appendix B - JES Listing COBOLCLG
Appendix C - JCL Assessment
Appendix D - Model JCL Statements
Appendix E - Basic JCL Exercises
Appendix F - Utility Exercises
Appendix G - PROC exercises
Appendix H - The Final Workshop
Appendix I - Instream PROCs
Appendix J - ICETOOL
Appendix K - Other SORT Examples
Appendix L - JCL Errors to fix
Appendix M - Calc Disk Space