Every enterprise has strategic goals. Every enterprise invests resources in projects. It is generally understood that projects should support an organization's strategic goals and that every project should be a good investment, but is that always true? Are we funding the right projects at the right time? Does the executive team have clear guidance on how much each project will cost and what it will return? Do they know with certainty that every completed project has actually created the Business Value intended? What can an executive do to ensure that every project is worthwhile?
Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is the primary business process that underlies execution of an organization's Business Strategy. It is through PPM that we prioritize, fund, oversee and evaluate our projects. Effective PPM ensures that we do the right projects at the right time.
The Project Management Office (PMO) can be a powerful influence in keeping each project on track. An effective PMO ensures that projects are well planned, promotes effective project management practice and keeps management informed of current status.
Through Project Stewardship, the management team has the power to create an environment that supports project success.
This workshop explains specific steps that you can take to put PPM, PMO and Project Stewardship to work in your organization.
The portfolio management workshop will benefit anyone who wants to get the most out of every project dollar: CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, other Senior Executives, PMO Directors, Functional Managers and Executives with project responsibility, Portfolio Managers, and anyone who uses projects to execute Business Strategy..
Learning Objectives – Understand the following:
- Nature of the project portfolio
- Every project is an investment
- How Project Portfolio Management (PPM) helps us manage the project portfolio
- Why PPM is critical to any business
- How to fund the right projects at the right time
- How PPM supports the CFO
- Nature of Business Value
- Role of the Management Team in PPM
- Steps that managers can take to optimize PPM in their enterprise
- Why the Project Management Office is an important PPM partner
- How formal project management improves the bottom line
- Project and Business Objectives – assigning accountability
- How to get the most Business Value out of every project
- Reasons for project success and failure
- Promoting Project Stewardship
- Creating a Supportive Project Ecosystem
Why should I take this workshop?:
- A highly experienced instructor will use an interactive lecture format, group discussions and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it on your job.
- Attaining Strategic Goals through Projects presents a practical approach to implementing PPM and a PMO in a way that can drive your Business Strategy forward. You should be able to make immediate use of the concepts presented in this workshop.
- Take this workshop and learn what you can do to ensure that your projects support your strategy, and your organization fully supports the success of every project.
- Learn what you can do to enhance the Business Value that projects deliver.
- Portfolio Management Training delivers insights into the project delivery and funding process that are not available in standard Project Management Training. This management workshop provides executive training at its best.