Recent studies indicate that about half of the time, PMO implementation fails. One significant cause stems from the (sometimes unstated) primary mission of the PMO: Make Things Better! In most cases, management expects that the PMO will bring about significant process change with the result that project success rates, project cost, etc. will improve dramatically. However, this can only happen if there are corresponding significant changes in the organization itself. Are they ready for it? Do PMO staff really understand what is required of them? Do they see themselves as a Change Agent?
PMO Startup is actually two projects in one. First, we must sufficiently define the mission and work of the PMO so that all stakeholders can understand what the PMO will do and why. Second, we must strive for organizational adoption of the changes that the PMO will bring about. Even PMOs that have existed for some time may benefit by revisiting these two steps, especially when there is continued reluctance to buy into the services that the PMO can offer. This advanced management workshop presents information that every PMO Director should consider BEFORE establishing the PMO.
This management workshop will benefit anyone who is involved in a PMO implementation: PMO director or manager, PMO Sponsor, PMO staff, Functional Managers and Executives with project responsibility, Portfolio Managers, and anyone who uses projects to execute Business Strategy
Learning Objectives :
- Types of PMO
- Typical PMO functions
- Managing People, Process and Tools
- Common pitfalls in PMO startup
- How the PMO creates change
- Who is impacted by the PMO
- Need for executive support
- Reasons for resistance to change
- Organizational Adoption planning
- PMO success depends on relationships
- Why every PMO needs a PMO charter
- Role of the charter in Organizational Change
- Creating a PMO charter
Why should I take this workshop?:
- A highly experienced instructor will use an interactive lecture format, group discussions and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it on your job.
- Project Management Office: Agent of Change presents unique insights into root cause of many PMO challenges and steps to take to make your PMO Startup a success. Attendees should be able to make immediate use of the practical steps presented in this workshop.
- Take this workshop and learn what you can do to ensure that your PMO is fully accepted by all major stakeholders.
- Attendees can use the best practice, tips, tools and techniques presented in this workshop to make their PMO Setup easier and faster.
- Whether you manage a Project Office, Program Office, Project Management Office, Program Management Office or other similar entity, learn what you can do to enhance the Business Value that you deliver on a daily basis.